Followers

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Yuma Proving Grounds US Army


My good friend, COL Jim and I recently visited the US Army Museum at the Yuma Proving Grounds, in Yuma, Arizona.


One of the first items is this large, bus like, vehicle parked out front.


It's the US Army Overland Train.  It's like a train, but it's on land, using big rubber wheels rather than train rails and tracks.


This "locomotive" pulled a host of trailers, like flatcars, across the desert.


Nobody makes a model of this vehicle as far as I know, but my brain has been working overtime trying to figure out where I can get some wheels like these...


As the plaque says, the vehicle was 565 feet long and weighed 400 tons.


It is a very impressive beast.  The orange color is for the testing, production models would be Army color, OD green or later camouflage.


As I said, it's a big vehicle!

2 comments:

Sam Wise said...

... what's the scale of the figure near the machine ?

(and thanks for adding my blogs on your blog roll ! very nice!)

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

It's a 1 - 1 scale figure in a chunky style.
Bunkermeister