Followers

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Savings Plan


Just as we save up money or food for an emergency or crisis, I also save up hobby items. When I go to the hobby shop, I buy an extra bottle of Model Master styrene model glue and sheet plastic. When I go to the model train shop I buy an extra tube of Goo, contact rubber cement. When I visit the art supply store I buy more Olfa snap off knife blades and razor saws blades.



When I go to the kit collector show, I often pick up an extra model that I know I am unlikely to build for a while. At Target, Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us I pick up extra office supplies; paper, pens, markers and tape. When my wife takes me to JoAnns or Michaels, I get fancy paper from the scrapbook section.



Having all these extra items allows me to keep building models even if I get laid off of work. We all face various financial bumps over time. I have been laid off, had car expenses crop up expectantly, and hobby spending has to take a back seat. One way to get through those problems is to stock up on hobby tools and supplies in the good times. I write the date on consumables, like glue, that can go bad over time to insure I open the oldest ones first. Super glues, CA types have a shelf life that is pretty short, so don’t stockpile those, but other glues will usually last for many years. A little planning can keep you building models even in the bad times.

4 comments:

Tim Gow said...

A sound approach to life and wargaming!

Karcuss said...

That why I have about 400 unbuilt kits 1/35 1/72 1/76, and 1,000 or so 1/72 figures still on Sprues, Boxes of FOW and 28mm Romans and Napoleonics all still on the Sprues!

But I have very little left to paint in 1/300

cheers Karcuss

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Thanks Tim.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes Karcuss, that's why you need enough glue, knife blades and paint to finish them in an emergency.