Followers

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Rail Gun

Recently I visited a train show and I found a couple of these little gems.



It is a heavy lift crane, used by railroad maintenance of way crews to lift heavy objects, like derailed train cars.
A long time ago, I found a photo that showed a Soviet railcar from the Second World War that had a cabin like this one but insead of a crane, there was a large caliber cannon inside. I suspect it may actually have been a ships turret moved to a rail carraige.


I have started taking the crane apart but have not made much other progress yet.



In close up you can see the rivets, making this look like a very heavy walled structure. I still have to figure out the cannon and have a lot of other work to do on it. I will follow up when I make more progress, but it coule be a while.


No comments: