Followers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Mountain Troops Mix and Match


Many years ago, Airfix released their set of German Mountain Troops and now we have the new set from Caesar. As you can see from the photo the Airfix guy with the rectangle base is just about the same size as the Caesar figure. The Caesar are a tiny bit larger and much more detailed.


The figures are close enough that I intend to mix the two sets together. The Airfix have several figures with ice axes and ropes doing mountain climbing things that the Caesar figures lack.



Klaus, how was the skiing on the Russian Front this year?



Of course, one of the most valuable figures in the Airfix set is not a man at all. Mr. Ed is one of the few pack animals in plastic and he serves with many armies. Shown here with one of the Caesar fez wearing Mountain Troops.



Since I primarily do late war, I need a little extra punch for my mountain troops and so I have included a few metal bazooka troops. I got these from who knows where but since they had warm clothing they seemed to me to find a good mountain home with the mountain troops. It gives them a little more staying power when those American Sherman tanks crawl up the narrow Italian mountain roads.


4 comments:

m60a3tanker said...

Hello,
I don't anticapate getting the Caesar mountain troops just yet, but they sure are neat. Very realistic poses and great detail. Your pictures are great too.
I plan on getting several more sets of US modern and WW2 soon. Plus WW2 German, French, and Belgiun troops.
Thanks for all your photos.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

You are welcome. Remember, Caesar sets are all limited production. When they are gone, they are all gone. No re-issues, no new colors, not ever to return. Many of their sets are out of production and out of stock.

Tarih1964 said...

Hello!

At first I wish a happy new year (a little bit later!) and Congrulations to the blog!

At the weekend I looked after new Caesar figures and find the Odemars Bosnian İnfantry accidentally by "Plastic Soldier review"!

But your review is exactly the one what I need, because you compare them with Airfix figures.

Thanks a lot!

Fehmi

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

PSR did not originally connect the Caesar Mountain Troops with the Odemars until I mentioned it to them. The Odemars, Airfix and Caesar sets mixed together and painted up the same will made a very nice, varied and large collection of SS Mountian Troops for Bosnia.