Followers

Sunday, November 2, 2008

More Red Army Artillery




The Soviet Army still carried flags at the Battle of Berlin. Everyone wanted to be the first to plant the Soviet flag on the roof of the Reichstag. Stalin believed that was still an important building, but in reality it was bombed out and vacant, except for a large number of SS troops.

Soviet units often had their own flags, and this one here was drawn by one of my friends. I mounted it on a bit of plastic rod and give it a flocked base.




Those tired old Airfix Russians as artillery crews. I also converted some of my hard plastic Esci infantry into artillery crews. These guys are very helpful to add some specificity to the artillery crew.

These hard plastic Esci figures have laid down their weapons and taken up Roco eight inch artillery shells. Actually these poses work very well for artillery and painted in a light gray they go well enough with the Airfix guys.






Nothing is wasted, even the sprue from the Esci Russians gets re-used. I cut the sprue up and made a box out if it and mounted the box on a bit of sheet styrene. Then covered the box with cotton gauze. The gauze is dyed with regular Rit cloth dye a nice dark green color. It can also be painted, but I think the dye looks better. You can do enough to camouflage the entire Eastern Front with one little box of dye.



Inside the camouflaged fire direction center there is a table with map. I painted the ground dirt color on the assumption that any grass would be pounded under the heels of the Soviet Red Army. I did not paint the sprue since it was a tan color, I figured it looked like natural wood and the glue from the netting would adhere better.

No comments: