Followers

Friday, November 7, 2008

Airplanes





Several years ago my wargame group and I purchased a huge collection of hundreds of vehicles and thousands of troops and a few dozen aircraft. Near the end of the selection process I got a big cache of Me109 fighters. As you can see, they are in rather poor condition.
These are most of the planes I got, all of them were missing the pilot, canopy, wheels and landing gear and in most cases spinner and propeller blades. Most were painted in a light blue underside and olive drab top sides.




I got out the resin and started casting. I made spinners with propeller blades and canopies and wheels. This plane has a new propeller blade, that is the white one. It has a new canopy. I have not done the wheels, or touched up the paint or done decals yet.



This one has a resin spinner and propeller blades and resin canopy. The resin parts have been painted and the entire model has been coated in a gloss coat. I still need to do the landing gear and the rest of the markings. The number and stripe were on most of the painted planes in the collection and the numbers are unique per plane, my intention is to keep them and add national and pilot markings.

2 comments:

Plastic Hussar said...

I really like how you have taken a box of junk and turned it into usable gaming pieces with just some simple fixes. Very inspiring!

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Thank you Plastic Hussar. I love doing that. Taking bits of junk kits or parts from the spares box and making usable stuff. These planes were terrible and they are coming out really well, I am surprised just how good they are.