Followers

Friday, October 24, 2008

Cobblers Bench






Generally, I don't paint the masses of my armies. With over 50,000 troops I really can't paint them all and so I don't bother to try. I will paint troops a solid color so that they will look like a unit. These troops are a mix of various metal and soft and hard plastic figures that will join one of my late war German regiments. Some started as ACW figures, some as civilians and many are actual Germans. I did a few conversions on a few of them, mostly head swaps so they appear more Germanic.







This photo shows the troops and accessories after I painted them. When I organize a regiment, I try and include all the various elements of the unit. As you can see from the troops in this photo there are radio operators, cooks, officers, horse handlers and others.







On the left side you can see the cobblers bench. I took boots from some of the "dead" guys in the plastic set to use as the cobblers work. The middle bench is the paymaster. He has a line of paybooks set out on top. Finally, the table at the right edge is the armorers table. An ammo can and two rifles to work on.








I used a bit of sheet styrene for the base, and table top. I cut up a ladder to make the table legs. I cut a bit of plastic box rod to make the crates as the bench. This gives me a more detailed headquarters than just a couple officers and a radio. It also allows my unit to repair broken infantry gear after a battle and keep morale high by letting them get paid!






No comments: