Followers

Thursday, October 30, 2008

20 MM AA




With American planes patrolling the skys every day, all day long, the Germans in WWII needed to field as many anti-aircraft guns as possible. I had a number of old Opel Blitz trucks that were slightly melted in the heat of the summer sun. I converted these four trucks into AA gun platforms.



This Roco Opel truck has an open cab with no windshield glass. Notice how the dark interior makes it look like a solid cap with the window painted black. Roco makes two versions of their single German anti-aircraft gun. I selected the smaller of the two as this one looks more like a 20mm gun than a 37mm gun. Eadai / Grip / Arii used to make a large SdKfz 7 halftrack in 1/72nd scale. They came in an artillery towing version and a AA gun version. The artillery towing version had the rear deck walls of the AA version in the kit. I used these as the rear sidewalls for my conversion of these trucks.


The cab roof of this truck looks like it rolled over and was put back in service. I planted the entire Roco gun and base from a old Roco SWS armored halftrack.




These trucks are good basis for conversions. The original rear truck bodies were totally destroyed by the sun and so I could then use the trucks for other purposes. I try and use every bit in my collection so that nothing goes to waste.


2 comments:

m60a3tanker said...

Hello again,
I thought I left a comment on this yesterday. I guess it didn't take. Any way, great job on the salvage of heat damaged models. I have had that problem too. Your using the beds from something else worked great. I bought several ROCO fire engines and scratch built the beds for mine. They look good with cargo or AA mounts in them, just as you have done. The ROCO Mercedes fire engine models are extra detailed models, which also come with various handwheels, lights, feul cans, ladders, etc. Which are good adder pieces to other conversions and such.
Wayne

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, I love all those little bits. I have been building up German fire response teams, it seem several organizations did fire fighting in Nazi Germany. I hate to toss out any parts, there always seems to be a use for them eventually.