Followers

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Paints






















Olive Drab is a mysterious paint color. Just like Panzer Gray and Panzer Yellow it is the holy grail of plastic model colors.

I got a note from Wayne Wanner the other day and he says "I've been using Krylon Olive for my stuff for a while, much cheaper and lasts longer,(11oz vs 3oz). I still use Model Master OD for tarps and such. Just another secret out of the bag." I use just about every olive drab paint there is for sale. Since it seems impossible for anyone to agree on just what constitutes the perfect olive drab, I have stopped looking. I use Model Master, Tamiya, Gunze Sanyo and even several other dark green colors from other companies.

Paints made over a number of years, at many different companies, and then applied by many people in many types of weather, in many circumstances, all over the world will lead to many variations in the paint. During wartime conditions making and applying the exact color, tone and texture of paint is not always high on the list of the average soldier.


No comments: